I had intended on publishing this closer to April, but I just got the sad news that my friend, The Most Interesting Man in the World is getting dumped by Dos Equis. This Cinco de Mayo will be his last stand in the grocery store beer isle and I will be toasting him farewell one final time. A proper time for my first ever selfie.
Here’s to you Most Interesting Man in the World! It’s been a wild ride and I’m hopeful that our paths cross again somewhere in the future. Adios, safe journey, AND Stay thirsty my friend.
It’s that time of year again and whadda ya know, this guy is teaching guitar lessons down in the beer aisle of the local supermarket every Tuesday during the month of April. So I decided I’d give it a go. This might be interesting.
After strumming my air guitar a few times he told me to put it down and have a beer with him. I guess he wasn’t impressed with my musical performance but I inspired him enough for him to share a beer and a few stories. Very interesting stories that I am compelled to share with you. Did you know…?
- His beard grows, ebbs and flows, with the tides. Gnarly Dude!
- He coined the now standard FAA safety phrase “unlikely event of a water landing” on a flight from Omaha Nebraska to Dallas Texas when his crop duster had to make an emergency water landing on Bass Lake just outside of Little Rock.
- He chased down a Russian submarine in a bi-plane towing a banner that read FREE Vodka~~~> Follow Me~~~>
- This guy roasted marshmallows with the elusive southern skunk ape along the Appalachian Trail.
- He rode the rapids of the Colorado River from Grand Rapids Michigan to Rapid City Iowa on a stand up paddle board. Without pants!
- Caught a fully inflated football thrown by Tom Brady at a town hall meeting in Worcester Massachusetts. With his bare hands!
- Collaborated with Don McLean to write one line in the song American Pie- Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry. Still gets a nickel in royalties every time that song plays on the AM dial.
- Speaking of pies, this chap once won a pumpkin pie eating contest by devouring a mince meat pie tucked inside the bottom of a pumpkin in 44 seconds. It’s True! He showed me the Blue Ribbon sewn on his vest.
- As a youngster he played Rolf, the tallest boy of the Von Trapp family, in the the movie The Sound of Music. He was fifteen going on sixteen. I didn’t know that.
Now I know. Now you know too. Isn’t amazing what you can learn in a FREE 45-minute guitar lesson?
I didn’t learn much on the guitar this first lesson, a couple of notes: d~flat and f~major. But boy, was it fun! The beer’s not my preferred style but this guy is. He’s quite the guys-guy and well, don’t even get me started on his ladies’ man escapades. He simply IS the Most Interesting Man in the World. I’ll be back next week for sure. I could use another lesson.